The sheer physical size of these megaliths sometimes obscures their greater significance, as both Avebury and Stonehenge were also places to contemplate the hidden mysteries of nature and science, for personal, scientific and spiritual development.
What would the original megalithic masons made of a modern interpretation like Stanley Kubrick's monolith in the film "2001"?
- Barbury Castle - hill encampment
- Liddington Castle - hill encampment
- Round barrow - in Ogbourne St.Andrew churchyard
- Merlin's Mount - in grounds of Marlborough College
- Long Tom - a standing stone on Clatford Down
- Our namesake, The Sanctuary - near Overton Hill
- Harden Henge - the largest henge in Britain
- The Avebury-Web site
- The Modern Antiquarian list for Avebury & the Marlborough Downs
- Silbury Hill: originally a ramped pyramid.
The Wiltshire Heritage Museum in Devizes has organised a "Henge Hopper" bus service to link Avebury, Devizes and Stonehenge. The timetable is updated quite frequently at the moment while the service is in a trial period.
Megalithic engineering.(or how the imperial units of measure date back at least 5000 years)